It’s winter, and that means a change in road conditions. Are you and your vehicle ready? Brown Motor Works in Columbia, SC, offers this cold weather vehicle safety checklist:
- Tire Tread: Be sure you have the proper tires for the weather and be sure they’re correctly inflated. If you live in higher elevations, you may want to consider installing snow tires.
- Belts and Hoses: Harsh weather, coupled with normal wear and tear, can make belts and hose brittle causing them to crack and break. Be sure their flexible and are not leaking.
- Oil and other Fluids: Your Vehicle is full of fluid. These fluids include engine oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid, radiator fluid, steering fluid, windshield wiper fluid and others that may need to be refilled or replaced to keep you up and running. For example, engines need different weights of motor oil in the winter. Be sure to have yours professionally checked to protect your engine from the cold.
- Brakes: Be sure your brake pads and rotors are in tip-top condition and while you’re at it, have your FWD system checked, too.
- Suspension: Your suspension affects your steering and ensures your vehicle goes in the direction you turn. Faulty suspension, especially in snow and ice could cause you to crash into a snowbank or worse yet, another vehicle.
- Headlamps: Be sure your headlamps are bright, shiny and properly aligned. If you can’t see it, you can’t avoid hitting it. Sounds simple, but it’s true.
The best way to ensure your vehicle is ready for the cold weather is to take it to Brown Motor Works for a comprehensive preventative maintenance inspection. We’ll give it a complete bumper-to-bumper inspection, let you know what we find and, with your permission, fix it before it becomes a major issue.
Call us or stop by our shop at 520 Clemson Rd., Columbia, SC 29229 or schedule an appointment online. We specialize in BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Mini Coopers.
Come see us and let Brown Motor Works take the worry out of winter driving.